Thursday, April 9, 2009

Mangosteen!

I have been hunting for tropical fresh fruits. I could not bring home such things to keep the memories alive, but I have been determined to find them, for my own nostalgia and to share some of the South Asian experience with my children.

In looking for tropical Easter treats, I have discovered several things. First is tropical fruits can be hard to find, especially the elusive dragon fruit and the lovely custard apple (a.k.a custard fruit.) Second discovery is many tropical fruits are easier to get alhold of fresh frozen. Not quite as good, but better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick, right? (I found frozen custard apples, but they look brown. We will see how they taste!) Third discovery is green coconuts, shaved and ready to drink are cheap, $1.50 or less! Fourth is that whole dragon fruits look like little dragons. And lastly is the name of that mystery fruit I fell so in love with on the cruise: mangosteen.

Mangosteen are not a type of mango, or a type of bovine. They look like a red plum, but don't eat the red! I let one thaw for an hour, and cut it in half, revealing the soft white meat inside. Perfect, sweet and chilled. I honestly never thought I would see them again. Now they are in my freezer! Happy to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment