Saturday, March 21, 2009

Approach to India

Shreeyash gave his third talk today, an interesting presentation on caste system in India, its origins, religious explanations, changes through colonial and post-colonial history and impact on social and personal life today.

I took two tours on the ship today, as well. The kitchen tour was very interesting. The galley produces 6,000 meals each day on this ship. We saw artistic breads (shaped like a cute animals like water buffalo and a mouse,) ice sculpting and at least two dozen different ways to fold a handkerchief. I only learned one: I can now fold a rabbit puppet (although my rabbits end up looking more like gargoyles…)

My other tour was an exclusive tour of the infirmary. The setup is very interesting. They have laboratory, and X-ray capabilities, ventilators, defibrillators, clot busters, medications and even a dental clinic. They have three acute rooms, and one critical bed. I also learned that the rumor of a crew member being eaten on the island of Komodo by a dragon (the only lizard known to hunt humans!) is completely false. And for those of you who are interested, no sea burials, due to a “zero overboard” policy.

On deck, security is heightened again, as we travel in the area of Sri Lanka. Primed fire hoses stand at the ready and Indian ex-navy security officers scan the horizon with binoculars. I have heard that the Tamel Tiger rebels fighting in Sri Lanka, known for terrorist attacks, have naval capability. Even so, the day has passed without problem.

I saw some flying fish as well as other small fish darting away through the sapphire seas as this city afloat cut though the waves. We also picked up an insect passenger. I found a butterfly on the aft deck. My only guess is that it is a Sri Lankan butterfly, confused and far from home. I tried to coax it out, back to the open winds, but every time it approached the breeze it would fly around me and back to the safe shielding of the vessel. After several minutes of trying to aid this creature, I decided that it wants to emigrate to India. I left it hiding in a stack of plastic chairs, waiting to come into port in the morning.

Dinner was shared with two neurophysiologists from Boston. It made for lively conversation, especially as he encouraged both Shreeyash and myself to continue in academia and research, not to be seduced by the allure of corporate wages. I may have already chosen the dark side, if paying my bills is what he is talking about. Also at the table were two interesting retired teachers from New York. Lively and enjoying the cruise, also loyal listeners of Shreeyash’s lectures, they always had a joke and perspective on life and aging worth hearing (although sometimes I am not sure I should repeat!)

We come to the Southern Indian city of Cochin in the morning. We will probably spend some time with another guest lecturer and his wife. He is Persian, spent many years in the States and is quick to discuss our cultural incongruities. As night settles, I still plan to socialize for a brief time, and in the words of Bruce, the entertainment director, have a good night tonight and a better day tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. This is Sarah! I love you Dada! Where are you now? Are you in pirate seas still? Can you come here soon? Big kiss! XOXO ((((HUGS)))) I miss you:( Come back soon!!!!!!!I'm at Nuffer's house. I'm going to get my nails painted blue and light blue. And the light blue is sparklely!!!!!XXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOXXXXXX

    Hi Shreeyash! This is Sarah! Bye everybody!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shreeyash! Hi Dad! I am getting my nails painted gold. I love you Dad and Shreeyash :) I miss you a lot. Love Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dad this is Josh remember that Sprite cranberry ponagranite juce? I named it Fizzy Fruite Combo.

    Hi Uncle Shreeyash I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thought I'd better add a comment letting you know what's up with the kids. They were getting lonely and missing you a lot. Julie called Friday night to see if the kids could come over and visit sometime soon. They had asked if they could several times. Of course I said yes. They came home with me after church and we had lunch (Josh and Kat helped make spagetti), played some games, and then wrote notes to you, and ate ice cream. They are back at their Mom's now. They were very,very well behaved all afternoon. They are also very anxious for you to get home at the end of the week. They really do miss you. They also told me all about their Webkinz going around the world with you. So cute! But then your kids are :) Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the updates and for posting their messages. We never saw any pirates, but we always have some big Indian security guards watching for any trouble. I have some video of one of them. They are nice men, but I wouldn't want to be a pirate fighting them!

    ReplyDelete