Saturday, March 28, 2009

Leaving India


All too soon, dreams come to an end. Following our second night in Pune, it was time for us to make plans for return. Our cousin arranged for a car (made by Tata of course) and driver to take as to The Mumbai airport from his house. The trip was uneventful; we did see some wild monkeys and very nice Western-style houses. The speedway was as nice as any freeway in the States. We passed slums and shopping malls and millions of people going about their lives.

The scenery was breath-taking. Large basalt faces sprouted from far below creating ancient volcanic gorges and valleys. While generally dry, the landscape was frequently punctuated by trees and shrubs, resilient in the spring warmth.

The city was different. Traveling through the bowels of Mumbai revealed it to be as frenetic and chaotic as one might expect when 15 million people choose to cram onto an island, each in search of a better life, and each with a scheme to bring it about.

I have to say that I am grateful I was not driving. It can be said, diplomatically, that Indians effectively and precisely utilize the road space. In the press of city traffic, mere inches separate vehicle from vehicle. I could have reached out and touched the beetle-shaped rickshaws or large red city busses we shared the road with.

Enthralled as I was by the press and energy of Mumbai, I did have a pervading sadness creep into the experience. Time was so short. With a whole world to drink in and savor, I only had time for a sip and a nibble.

To be fair, my brother did offer to try to revise my travel plans, going ahead and allowing a few more days in India without him. Enticing as this idea was, the time with my brother was precious too, as valuable as traveling alone would have been dreary. This coupled with how much I miss my wonderful children really answered the question before it was asked.

In departing, family members asked when I would return. In all honesty I had to say “I don’t know.” In my heart, I quietly promised “As soon as I can. As soon as I can.”

No comments:

Post a Comment